It would be best if you consider the following steps when attempting to address a garage door that has come off its track:
- It would help if you started by gathering all the materials required for putting your garage door back on its tracks. These items include a hammer, wrench pillars, saw horses, wooden blocks, along with some lubricant such as a spray or even cooking oil.
- You need to find someone to help you open your garage door manually after you disconnect it from its opening mechanism. It would help if you asked your helper to lift the garage door and help you set it on sawhorses or on wooden blocks to prevent it from closing.
- As you are opening your door, try to pay attention to where the garage door catches all the tracks so that you find out where it’s coming off track.
- Apply lock pillars or grips to help keep the garage door up, in addition to having wooden blocks there for safety purposes.
- Using your pliers, you need to start manipulating the metal on the edge of the garage door track and slip its wheels back inside the tracks. You can secure your garage door wheels into the track by carefully knocking on the track’s edge back into the shape it was.
- Ensure that the garage door is reattached to the opener and can function smoothly.
If you wish to fully understand how you can fix a garage door that has come off the track, it would be best for you to refer to your owner’s manual. If you feel like you are not comfortable troubleshooting your garage door all by yourself, feel free to get in touch with Integrity Garage Doors for assistance.
Six common reasons why your garage door roller may have derailed
Finding out the main reason why your garage door roller derailed and trying to prevent those issues from reoccurring is the best way for you to keep your door running safely and smoothly.
It would be best if you keep the following causes of derailing rollers in mind whenever you inspect your garage door:
Not enough lubrication
The most common reason why garage door rollers often derail is that the rollers and the tracks themselves are not adequately lubricated.
These two surfaces generate a lot of friction, so they must have the required lubrication needed to function together smoothly.
Silicone oil and even your household oil used for cooking will suffice to give you enough lubrication needed to allow your rollers to function appropriately.
Tracks not correctly secured.
If you or the professional who installed your garage door did not install it properly, the chances are that you may end up having problems with your door tracks later.
If your tracks are not properly secured and fastened to your garage wall, it can create issues by moving too much and can come off your wall entirely.
Even if the tracks are slightly loose, it may be enough to misdirect your rollers from the tracks. This is why you must ensure that your tracks are firmly tightened to your garage walls.
Similar to improperly screwed tracks, tracks that are misaligned can also end up causing problems. Misalignment issues can be rectified easily by adjusting the track as required and then securing the tracks back onto the wall.
Dirt and grime
Garages tend to be dusty, dirty places, and this dust and dirt can get inside your garage door track, which can cause roller problems.
If you notice that there is dirt or grime on your tracks and not enough lubrication, then you should expect that your rollers are going to get jammed sooner or later, which will send them right off the tracks.
Nevertheless, you can fix this issue yourself by using a strong detergent and a scrub. Remember to re-lubricate your tracks when finished.
Garages can also be a risky place where you may notice that your tracks have faced some beating over the years for one reason or another.
Vehicles backing into the tracks or other blunt forces can end up bending or denting them, sending rollers off the track. Nevertheless, knocking these dents carefully using a rubber mallet can help you fix this issue.
Get in touch with Integrity Garage Doors today!
If you live in Richardson, TX, and face problems with your garage door coming off the track, you need to get in touch with Integrity Garage Doors at once. For over 50 years, our company has been providing DFW homeowners with best-in-class garage doors and garage door openers and other garage door parts (springs, rollers and tracks, panels and hinges, etc.) and accessories (decorative hinges and pulls, windows, etc.) When it comes to your garage off-track repair, you can count on our experience.
Give us a call at 972-435-7255 or contact us online, and we will give you a free quote on your project.